Money management and Debt

Before you bid for properties, you need to make sure that you can afford to pay the rent, rent in advance, council tax, utility bills and all the other costs that come with moving to a new property. If your bid is successful and you are offered a property you will normally move quite quickly.

In administering the Council’s Housing Register and allocations processes, the Council work with social landlords to ensure that accommodation offers are affordable for households in need. In some circumstances, it is possible that a social landlord may reject you if you are nominated for a tenancy, and you are struggling to repay debts or if it becomes known at that stage that you are in debt. If you are struggling to repay debt, please consider using one of the below services now to understand what support, and solutions, are available to resolve your financial difficulties.


If you need help with cost of living concerns, you can find a range of advice and support services on Rushmoor Borough Council's website.


Turn2us is a national charity providing practical help to people who are struggling financially. You can use there benefit entitlement calculator to help with understanding your budget.



You can access a Better of Calculator, which explains complex benefit changes in a simple and understandable way, where people can maximise their income entitlements.



This service provides a benefit calculator, and want to make sure everyone who is entitled to benefits is empowered to claim them. The UK’s benefits system is complicated and can feel overwhelming for people using it for the first time or needing to understand the implications of a change of circumstances. So, this service aims to simplify the system so people can quickly find out what financial support they may be entitled to.



If you are offered a property, we want to make sure that you are fully prepared to manage a home and are aware of the rights and responsibilities that go with a tenancy. Whilst registered providers (Landlords) requirements may vary, to get you ready, you can find some easy steps by visiting Sovereign’s website


The following organisations are available to help with debt management:


Citizens Advice provides free, confidential, and impartial advice. As the UK's largest advice provider, the Citizens Advice service also delivers a range of money advice services.

The Money Advice Service provides free and impartial money advice, set up by the government:

  • Advice and guides to help improve your finances.
  • Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan.
  • Check if you can afford to pay the rent and other costs associated with moving.
  • Test to work out and determine your level of debt and see how you can get back on track with your finances.


Debt Advice Foundation is a specialist debt charity offering free, confidential advice on any aspect of debt.


National Debtlike is a charity which provides free and independent advice over the phone and online.


StepChange provides free debt advice, to help you deal with your debt and set up a solution.